Watch Part 2 - ''A Dinosaur Story - Extras''
In 2013 Google updated the Chrome web browser with a brand new error screen, that would pop up whenever users would experience an internet shortage.
Besides the message that there is no internet connection, and a few suggestions for diagnostics, the screen also displayed an image of a T-Rex standing still on a desert plain.
The next year, Chrome users would find that they could actually activate an easter egg game with the dinosaur, simply by pressing the space-bar on their keyboard, or tapping on the screen if they were using a smartphone.
The Google Chrome T-Rex icon was designed by Sebastien Gabriel, a visual designer who is also known for designing other Chrome icons, one of them being the ‘’Chrome Repair Bot’’.
The offline game was entirely coded by Google developer Edward Jung.
The dinosaur game is an infinite runner that has no time limitations or scripted epilogue. You basically go for as long as you can, and while doing so, hopefully forget about the frustrations of dealing with one of the biggest first world problems.
Sources and references:
- OMG Chrome: ‘’Interview with Sebastien Gabriel, a Google Chrome Visual Designer’’ http://www.omgchrome.com/interview-with-sebastien-gabriel-google-chrome-visual-designer/
- Softpedia: ‘’Chrome's Cute Offline Dinosaur Now Comes as Standard’’ http://webscripts.softpedia.com/blog/Chrome-s-Cute-Offline-Dinosaur-Now-Comes-as-Standard-392981.shtml
‘’Chrome lonely T-rex’’ https://dribbble.com/shots/1280869-Chrome-lonely-T-rex
‘’Chrome lonely T-rex reloaded’’ https://dribbble.com/shots/1832973-Chrome-lonely-T-rex-reloaded
‘’Google Chrome’’ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#T-Rex
‘’Specimens of Tyrannosaurus’’ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specimens_of_Tyrannosaurus
- Quora: ‘’Why does Google Chrome show a dinosaur when you are offline?’’ https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Google-Chrome-show-a-dinosaur-when-you-are-offline
‘’Disable Chrome offline game (T-Rex) if device is enrolled’’ https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=462221
‘’add policy to disable dinosaur game on the network error screen on desktop/mobile platforms’’ https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=471738
Footage used in the video
- Marques Brownlee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iObySa91b0
- Unbox Therapy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMiBhvV0Dm8&t=3s
- JerryRigEverything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaBiv2j91U&t=9s
- Computerphile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0&t=102s
- Pencil clip https://pixabay.com/en/videos/pencil-write-author-education-pen-8256/
- Exsersize clip: https://pixabay.com/en/videos/yoga-health-woman-mountain-445/
- Keyboard clip: https://pixabay.com/en/videos/keyboard-typing-computer-office-8246/
- ‘’Bad TV Reception Stock Video Clip’’ by recroom https://www.videezy.com/elements-and-effects/244-bad-tv-reception-stock-video-clip
- ‘’Reading book pages’’ by padrinan https://www.videezy.com/abstract/5713-reading-book-pages
- Grass clip http://mazwai.com/#/grid/videos/8
► SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/channelhotmonkey
► FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/chmtech
► GOOGLE +: https://plus.google.com/+ChannelHotmonkey/posts
Music: ''U Make Me Feel'', ''TFB3'', ''Habanera (by Bizet)''
(YouTube Audio Library)
Flamingos on a T. rex skeleton casted from a T. rex fossil named Stan that got dug out of the ground by Stan that is in front of the google office and also theoretically inspired the offline lonely T. rex game in google chrome when there is a shortage of internet going into the device
Somewhere in settings you can disable the Dino game and when the Dino pops and you hit the space bar a message will pop up saying “the owner of this computer has disabled the dinosaur game.” Then the dinosaur’s eyes will get wide and METEORS will be above the dinosaur :(
Edit: this happens to me in school :(
if you do have no internet dont use that page, type chrome://dino into the browser and you can go full screen with it, also it will allow you to play even if it's blocked because it's not on the no internet page its on a built in page (at least i think)
Cult Film Collective and the Trylon team-up for a can’t miss for film fans Pedro Almodóvar 35mm Double Feature. [TIX] First Ave is insane this week, including the annual Rebel Rebel: Rock for Pussy David Bowie covers benefit for Feline… Continue Reading →
Quick Q+A: George McConnell + SUPERHERO.
As Captain America says in the under-appreciated Age of Ultron, “We have an enhanced in the field.” Not just the field, Cap. Everywhere you look these days Superheroes are flying or speeding or stretching by—in our films, in our art,… Continue Reading →
Whiz Bang Days Celebration.
Bird Town (as we know it) aka Robbinsdale (as you maybe know it) has a proud history of wrasslin’, so we shouldn’t be so surprised to see the high flyin’ brawlers and knuckle sandwich makers and #1 heel Darin Corbin… Continue Reading →
Sat // The Beer & Bacon Classic.
Previous beer fest experiences (and there have been many) indicate the snacklace is reaching an all-time high in sophistication—but you’ll want to leave it at home for this one. Consider it research for your next creation: the Bacon and Beer… Continue Reading →
Bell Museum Grand Opening.
The Bell Museum celebrates nearly 150 years of existence, 50 years of active learning programs, and 24 feet of woolly mammoth at its grand opening this weekend, which welcomes the public to experience its beautifully grandiose new digs in St…. Continue Reading →
Lumières Françaises + Bastile Day.
Did the MSP Film Society know France would be on the cusp of a World Cup win when they planned their week of independent French film? DID THEY? The smarties actually likely scheduled Lumières Françaises to coincide with Sat’s Bastille… Continue Reading →
Weds // TV Girl + Infinity Crush + Cheap Fantasy.
“Here in New York you don’t need excuses to dress like a girl.” The effortless hipster cool of TV Girl’s sound mixes a sunny produced pop, throwback to ’60s French yé-yé, with more relaxed late night beats and samples, making them… Continue Reading →
Thurs // The Summit Ratskeller’s Grand Reopening.